Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Virtual Relationship


Last weekend, my out-of-town friend put things into perspective for me when I realized that the last time he came and hung out with me in NY was in January.

During that visit, a good-looking guy approached me and we exchanged numbers.

Since then, we've sent each other a multitude of text messages (while sober & drunk, during the day & late-night hours) and had a few (very few) phone calls.

Some time, a few weeks after our initial meeting, I became fed up with all the last-minute failed-attempts to meet up and told him that we could either make plans and stick to them OR let's forget this whole thing.

So we planned a date and when the day came, we both bailed out on the plans.
He was sick and I was busy with work (or vice versa!)

We were back to the text routine... but like granny's teeth, there were few and far between.

Another few weeks passed and I finally decided to show up to a last minute invite... I got to the bar and realized that I have no idea what he looks like!!! He didn't send an immediate reply when I inquired about his whereabouts, so I left the awful hellhole he had chosen!

It didn't matter to me any more if we ever hung out, because talking about this absurd situation became quite more amusing to me than the possibility of a love connection.

At 5:00 am, a few mornings ago - this being July (7 months after we met), he left me a voicemail saying how it was really annoying that we haven't hung out yet after all this time!!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahahahahahaha. omg, i love you bigapl. only because i am in the exact, i mean, IDENTICAL situation. it's been 3 months and it's still going. oh you have no idea how comforting this is!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 3:27:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Pliszka said...

I was waiting for your regular punch line, "If you're in a relationshipd with someone via a cell phone, don't date him NY." Though I think this has happened to most of us, and sometimes it gets so bad that the relationship progresses to the sexual stage on the text messaging. Rather like cyber sex, I like to call it text sex.

Friday, July 28, 2006 9:19:00 PM  
Blogger BigAppleBtm said...

Thanks Sarah!

A few days after posting this blog, I read Aaron Karo's (free plug)new issue of Ruminations and it is just so fitting:
http://aaronkaro.com/issue.php?id=69

They think that they're laying the groundwork!!!

Scott - what are you wearing?

Saturday, July 29, 2006 10:30:00 AM  
Blogger Scott Pliszka said...

Long Johns - like always.

Monday, July 31, 2006 2:14:00 PM  
Blogger here I am! said...

Be obscure and vague darling and he will be drooling at your feet for more!!!
Men dont want the available...not at first..they want the unatainable.
Just stay busy.
If he really is worth it.....he will call you.
trust me.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Margarite Elaine said...

a 5am phone call after all of that drama. GIVE ME A BREAK! Save yourself the heartache and don't date him. Better yet, stop talking to him all together. The relationship is clearly headn nowhere.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007 1:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home